Saturday November 12, 2022
9:00 am – 2:00 pm PST
12:00 pm – 5:00 pm EST
This class is designed for folks who have experience with the Reusi Dat Ton self massage sequence (classes with David Wells, the Natural Arts Center, Naga Center, etc).
We’ll dig deeper into some Thai medicine basics – body layers & element theory – and how to put them to use in designing your self massage sessions.
Classes will be held over Zoom, and you’ll be sent a link after registration. And of course, a handy dandy class workbook in PDF format.
- An introduction to Thai medical theory – an overview of Element Theory and the layers of the body, and how they relate to the self massage practice.
- When and why to choose between the different massage techniques – and how to apply them to the layer you’re targeting.
- Choosing techniques based on the condition of the tissue, and strategies to get the most out of your self-massage work.
- When and why to work in particular directions: head to toe, toe to head, center outwards, periphery to the center, dispersing areas of pain.
- Strategies for combining Joint Mobilization Exercises, self-massage, and RDT exercises for various situations: chronic pain, sore muscles from overuse, acute injury, daily maintenance.
Here’s what you’ll need:
- A Zoom account (free).
- Camera, microphone, and internet connection.
- A few square feet of quiet, distraction free space
- A comfortable cushion or zabuton (we’ll be working seated on the ground) – if you’re not comfortable on the ground, a hard-backed chair (without arms) or stool will work.
- A soft scarf or hand/body towel.
- A tasty beverage of your choice.
Registration required before November 5
Workshop taught by Jim Madras, Oregon LMT #7853.
*photo courtesy of David Wells, from the Wat Matchimawat murals (c. 1600)